Saturday, December 29, 2007

Here’s a link

I don’t know anything about Talk To Action, except that they invited Dr. Nick Gier to write a history Douglas Wilson’s polarization of Moscow. He titled the first installment “The Seeds are Sown for a Culture War in Moscow, Idaho.” It’s an accurate piece written by a man whose history with Wilson goes way back to Wilson’s education at the University of Idaho. Nick is a kind and honest man, and I am an eyewitness to some of the abuse he’s suffered at the hands of Doug’s Thugs. Simply unconscionable.

Thank you.

UPDATE:
I just received this comment:

Better a friend should say this:

All due criticism of Wilson aside, the article is written by a Unitarian and posted on a site dedicated to opposing evangelical Christians. The web site advocates in favor of homosexuality, among other evils. I also found Gier’s article itself to be disjointed. All of which I’m sure you observed.

And none of the above detracts from appropriate criticism of Wilson, but my point is to note with great sadness just how much he has given our enemies tools with which to smear us all.

Lesson learned: each of us must walk circumspectly, with great integrity, praying humbly that we don’t, in our own way, repeat the errors of others.

Agreed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better a friend should say this:
All due criticism of Wilson aside, the article is written by a Unitarian and posted on a site dedicated to opposing evangelical Christians. The web site advocates in favor of homosexuality, among other evils. I also found Gier's article itself to be disjointed.
All of which I'm sure you observed.

And none of the above detracts from appropriate criticism of Wilson, but my point is to note with great sadness just how much he has given our enemies tools with which to smear us all.

Lesson learned: each of us must walk circumspectly, with great integrity, praying humbly that we don't, in our own way, repeat the errors of others.

Anonymous said...

I invite anyone to read my book "God, Reason, and the Evangelicals" at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/gre.htm to see if my intention has ever been to "smear" all evangelicals.

As President of the Pacific Northwest AAR/SRL in 2003, I hosted our annual conference in Moscow, Idaho. I had invited Wilson's faculty and students to attend. They were conspicuous no shows. That year 40 percent of the papers were presented by conservative evangelical faculty.

I would not have been elected president by this conference if I had been smearing anyone, let alone conservative Christians.

Nick Gier

Mark T. said...

Hi Dr. Gier,

If you read Towne’s comment carefully, you’ll notice that he put distance between you and any smear that might take place. I know that you would not want to smear anyone, let alone all evangelicals. As I wrote, you are a kind and honest man. Towne’s point, which he noted with great sadness, was that “WILSON . . . has given our enemies tools with which to smear us all,” not you.